Antique, Classic and Collector Cars in good condition wanted!
Free pick-up from almost anywhere in the country and a tax deduction.
We have a wonderful museum with over 150 classic cars and trucks on exhibit in historical groupings. Change, however, is important to maintain public interest and to advance our mission to preserve, exhibit and teach the story of the automobile and its influence on our lives; therefore, we are constantly seeking new donations for exhibit.
Curator’s Wishlist for Donations to our Permanent Collection
- Early Chevy (early teens ideal, but interested into 1920s)
- Volkswagen Type 2 Bus (T1 model ideal, but also interested in T2)
- Vintage Hot Rods and Lowriders from the 1950s and 60s (California-built ideal)
- 1940s/early 50s Woodie wagon
- Pre-1908 vehicle with marque other than Ford (CA connection such as the Tourist ideal)
- 1930s high-end luxury car (e.g. Cord, Hispano-Suiza)
- 1960s Ford F-series, Chevy/GMC C/K, or Dodge D-series two-door pickup truck
- Collecting Future History Now:
- mid-1980s Dodge Caravan with faux wood paneling
- 1970s Toyota Pickup (Hilux) / 1980s Datsun 720 pickup truck
- 1980s Honda Civic / Toyota Corolla
- 1990s Smart Coupe or 2000-07 Smart Fortwo
- 2003-2008 Toyota Prius
- early 2000s Hummer H2
- early 2000s BMW Mini (Cooper)
- Any car from any era with interesting local relevance, or a significant California or Sacramento history!
While our long-term goal is obtain these as donations to the California Automobile Museum, we are always interested in displaying loaned vehicles at the museum. If you are interested in exhibiting your vehicle on loan, you can find more information on this webpage. Condition of car, museum space, significance of vehicle’s history, and more all play a part in if a vehicle is able to be displayed at the California Automobile Museum.
The Essential Details
To claim a tax deduction, exhibit cars must be appraised within 60 days of the date of donation by a qualified appraiser who can provide the proper IRS forms. If you can’t find an appraiser, we can refer you to one, and will do all the donation and IRS paperwork.
Used cars and trucks not suitable for exhibit will be brought to Sacramento if their value is more than the transportation cost. They will be prepared for sale and retailed at the Museum. Their selling price will be your tax deduction.
You will receive a receipt and the Museum will do all DMV paperwork to transfer title and IRS paperwork to claim a tax deduction. Your deduction will be whatever the vehicle actually sells for, which we guarantee will be more than other charities get when they turn them over to an auction yard or third party!
If a vehicle is not approved for exhibit, donated vehicles still are an excellent help to the museum! We sell them ourselves. No middle man. 100% of the proceeds from the sale of donated vehicles go directly to the Museum.
We are an IRS approved 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. We need your donation!
Call: (916) 442-6802 ext. 16 to talk to Roy Kinji about your car or send him an email.
Subscribe to our Car Sales Eblast!
Or to submit an online donation, fill out the following form: